At inlingua Vancouver we have policies and procedures to make your experience at our school positive and enjoyable. These policies cover student and teacher behavior as well as administrative policies.
If you plan to register to study English at inlingua Vancouver, please note that we have a strict English Only Policy. We have also established admission policies, a refund policy in case of cancellation or withdrawals, and dispute and dismissal policies. Just like at any other English language school in Vancouver, Canada, these rules exist to protect international students and also language schools.
Our School Policies are guided by the association Languages Canada which regulates all language schools in Canada.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old at the time of the start of the course.
- Under special circumstances, Applicants younger than 18 might be accepted with an authorization letter from his/her parents or guardian provided that the person understands all the school policies.
- A copy of the birth certificate might be required to prove age of any applicant.
- Before starting the course, all international students will have to be covered by insurance.
- Applicants must pay CDN 125 as Registration Fee. This fee is non refundable.
After the Application Form has been signed, the following Refund Policy will be in effect:
WRITTEN NOTICE IS ALWAYS NECESSARY
A written notice of withdrawal will be necessary in all cases. It will have to be submitted to INLINGUA VANCOUVER by fax, e-mail, mail or in person.
CASE 1 — VISA IS NOT GRANTED OR RELATED PROBLEMS
INLINGUA VANCOUVER will retain the lesser of 25% of the total fees due under the contract or up to CDN 200 if a person is denied authorization from Citizenship and Immigration, or could not get a visa, or do not receive authorization prior to the course of study; provided that the person notifies the school of these circumstances on or before the first day of the program of study is scheduled to begin and also provided that the person, within a reasonable time, provides documentation of the circumstances to the institution.
CASE 2 — NO VISA PROBLEMS, BUT THE STUDENT DECIDES TO WITHDRAW BEFORE THE PROGRAM OF STUDY STARTS
- If the notice of withdrawal is received less than seven (7) calendar days after the contract is made and before the program starts, INLINGUA VANCOUVER will return all funds except 25% of the total fees due under the contract, to a maximum of CDN 400.
- Subject to clause B, if the notice of withdrawal is received by the school thirty (30) calendar days or more before the start of a program of study, INLINGUA VANCOUVER will return all funds except 25% of the total fees due under the contract.
Subject to clause B, if the notice of withdrawal is received by the school less than thirty (30) calendar days before the start of a program of study, INLINGUA VANCOUVER will return all funds except 40% of the total fees due under the contract.
CASE 3 -THE STUDENT DECIDES TO WITHDRAW AFTER THE PROGRAM OF STUDY STARTS
- If the notice of withdrawal is received by the school, or a student is dismissed within 10% of the program of study’s duration, INLINGUA VANCOUVER will return all funds except 50% of the total fees due under the contract.
- If the notice of withdrawal is received by the school, or a student is dismissed after 10% and before 30% of the program of study’s duration, INLINGUA VANCOUVER will return all funds except 70% of the total fees due under the contract.
If a student withdraws or is dismissed after 30% of the program of study’s duration, no refund will be given.
CASE 4 — INLINGUA VANCOUVER CHANGES THE START DATE OF A COURSE
If INLINGUA VANCOUVER changes the start date of a program after the contract has been signed, and the person does not want to take the course in the new date, the person will be given a refund of 100% of the fees including the application fee and all other fees charged.
CASE 5 — THE PERSON CHANGES THE START DATE OF A COURSE
If the person wants to change the start date, provided that the person notifies the school in writing of these changes before 30 days of the program of study is scheduled to begin, then all the fees paid will be transferred to a later date for up to 12 months. If the person does not notify before 30 days of the program of study is scheduled to begin or takes longer than 12 months to start after notifying, then INLINGUA VANCOUVER reserves the right to penalize applicants.
CASE 6 — THE PERSON CHANGES THE PROGRAM OF STUDY
- INLINGUA VANCOUVER will only accept changes of Program of Study between one Full-Time Program to another Full-Time Program, for example, from SE Program to IP1 Program or to a Specialized program. The difference will be credited to more time of study in the same program. Balances can not be used to pay for books, homestay, insurance or similar fees. Changes from a Full-Time Program to a Part-Time Program will not be accepted. All students who want to convert their Full Time Programs into Part Time Programs, for example without the Afternoon classes, will not receive any extension in time in their final Program, and under no circumstances will they receive a Refund for the difference in price. All students who want to make their Programs longer, for example to include more Afternoon classes or Morning classes, will only pay the difference between the Program they enrolled for and the new Program selected.
- INLINGUA VANCOUVER will accept changes of Program of Study between one Part-Time Program to another Part-Time Program, for example, from PT1 program to SE Afternoon Program. All students who want to make their Programs longer, for example to include Afternoon classes or Morning classes, will only pay the difference between the Part-Time Program they enrolled for and the new Full-Time Program selected.
Any other changes not covered above will be subject to review by inlingua Administration Staff and will be decided within 24 hours of received request.
CASE 7 — ABOUT HOMESTAY AND ROOMING
- INLINGUA VANCOUVER will not retain any Accommodation Fees. They are transferred to the host families or returned to the students, through our Accommodation Coordinators. The Accommodation placement fee is non-refundable after the application has been received and the student has received a placement. Only if the student has visa problems and can prove them, the placement fee will be refunded.
- In case of changing or leaving a Homestay, the person must inform the host family in writing at least 15 days before. If a person fails to give the 15 day-notice, the host family will retain the fees for this time.
Postponements or delays of arrival greater than one week, with less than 10 days notice before scheduled arrival, will result in the loss of the original placement fee. Students must pay a second placement fee and might be placed in a different house.
CASE 8 — ABOUT AIRPORT RECEPTION
- If a person changes the date of arrival and Airport Reception (pick up), or wants to cancel the service, a notification in writing must be received at INLINGUA VANCOUVER at least 3 days before the scheduled arrival date.
If on the day of arrival there is a change of flights and the arrival time changes, or if the flight is delayed, the student is responsible to contact the Accommodation Coordinator directly, INLINGUA VANCOUVER and their host family, to inform them of the change. Failure to do so may result in no pick-up, as well as the loss of the reception fee.
CASE 9 — A STUDENT IS DISMISSED FROM INLINGUA VANCOUVER
In this case, INLINGUA VANCOUVER will give the person a written notice informing the student of the dismissal from the school and the reasons for this event. The amount of the refund will be ruled by clauses F, G, and H, and all the other clauses in this policy that apply.
All refunds will be paid within thirty (30) days of INLINGUA VANCOUVER receiving written notification of withdrawal, or within thirty (30) days of the school’s written notice of dismissal.
RECIPIENT OF THE REFUND
- If the fees to be refunded were received from an Agent or the student’s parents or legal guardians, then INLINGUA VANCOUVER will agree with them if the refund is given to them or directly to the person. In concordance with clause T, within thirty (30) days of the notice of withdrawal or dismissal, the school will decide who the Recipient will be.
- You can take a Break during your Program at inlingua Vancouver only if you inform us at the moment of registration, before starting your program. If you decide to take a break after starting your program, please notify the school. NOTE: The time of your break will not extend your end date.
- If you are absent from inlingua Vancouver for an extended period of time, credit for missed classes will be given only if you were sick and provide the sufficient supporting medical documentation. Should you know in advance of an upcoming extended absence, please make sure to let your instructor know. NOTE: Classes missed for any other reason will NOT be added to your program.
Individuals should always try to resolve issues informally. If a more formal approach becomes necessary, INLINGUA VANCOUVER provides a fair and reasonable mechanism for resolution. Procedure:
- First try to resolve the issue directly with the other party. If this does not work
- You can talk about any problems or difficulties with your teachers in or outside the class, or with any member of the Administration. If no satisfactory solution is found
- Put your complaint in writing to the Director of Studies. This person will request submissions from all involved parties, including witnesses; conduct an investigation and set up a meeting within 24 hours. The Director of Studies will, in writing, provide a written decision to all parties within 48 hours. It this does not work
- Repeat procedure 3 with the Executive Director. If no resolution is satisfactory
- The parties appoint an outside mediator/arbitrator within 48 hours. INLINGUA VANCOUVER will bear the cost of mediation/arbitration.
ENGLISH ONLY POLICY IN SCHOOL
At inlingua Vancouver we have a strict English Only Policy. This policy forces students to speak English at all times in our language school campuses and activities. It ensures the best possible opportunity for students to speak English.
Instructors and staff will use English as the language of communication with all students and at all times on school property (except in counseling situations and in case of emergencies). Students will be expected to also follow this rule when speaking to each other.
Students communicating using a mother tongue when not absolutely necessary will be penalized. However, students using English at all times and showing enthusiasm in their classes will be rewarded.
|English Only Policy (Strictly enforced by all teachers and staff members)|
|1st Offence||NO SCHOOL FOR ONE DAY|
|2st Offence||NO SCHOOL FOR TWO DAYS|
|3st Offence||NO SCHOOL FOR ONE WEEK|
|4st Offence||EXPULSION FROM THE SCHOOL WITH NO REFUND|
Because inlingua Vancouver is a friendly place, we prefer to motivate our students to speak only in English. If they use only English at the school, most likely these things will happen:
- You will learn English quickly.
- You will make friends from all over the world.
- Everyone at the language school will respect you.
- You can win a prize (like a Coffee Certificate), presented by your teacher at school in the morning.
- Breaking more than three (3) times our ENGLISH ONLY policy within the school without permission from a member of the Staff.
- Absenteeism for a period longer than two (2) days without notifying the school and provision of a doctor’s note.
- Forgery, alteration or misuse of the school’s documents, records or identification, or knowingly furnishing false information to INLINGUA VANCOUVER.
- Misrepresentation of oneself or of an organization to be an agent of INLINGUA VANCOUVER.
- Obstruction or disruption of, on or off-campus property.
- Physical abuse of campus property.
- Theft of or non-accidental damage to INLINGUA VANCOUVER’S property.
- Attending school under the effects of alcohol or drugs.
- The sale or knowing possession of dangerous drugs, restricted dangerous drugs or narcotics on campus property.
- Engaging in lewd, indecent or obscene behaviour on campus property.
- Abusive behaviour towards a member of the school’s staff.
- Soliciting or assisting another person to commit any act which would subject a student to expulsion, suspension or probation pursuant to this section.
- Improper behaviour in the Homestay house arranged by INLINGUA VANCOUVER.
- Violation of Canadian laws outside the school that involve Immigration authorities or the police.